Appointment and Employment Committee – 17 April 2012
Chairman: Councillor Mrs E Redfern
Venue: Civic Centre, Scunthorpe
2. Declarations of Personal or Personal and Prejudicial Interests
3. To take the minutes of the meeting of the committee held on 2 April, 2012 as a correct record.
4. Any other items
The public are likely to be excluded from the meeting for consideration of the following item on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1 and 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act, 1972, (as amended)
5. Assistant Director Posts – Appointments Process.
6. Date and Time of Next Meeting.
PRESENT: Councillor Mrs Redfern in the chair.
Councillors Briggs, L Foster, Swift and Waltham.
11. DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS – There were no declarations of personal or personal and prejudicial interests.
12. MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the meeting of the committee held on 2 April 2012 be approved as a correct record. The Chief Executive however referred to minute 9 and the reference to the appointments taking effect from 1 May 2012. He suggested that given that the annual meeting of the council was to be held on 15 May 2012 when changes to the Constitution would be made to reflect the changed senior management structure, the effective date for the appointments in relation to the statutory responsibilities of these post be 15 May 2012.
13. EXCLUSION OF THE PUBLIC – Resolved – That the public be excluded from the meeting for consideration of the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1 and 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).
14. ASSISTANT DIRECTOR POSTS – APPOINTMENTS PROCESS – Further to minute 10 of the last meeting of the committee, the Chief Executive informed the committee that the closing date for expressions of interest for the remaining 8 Assistant Director posts within the ring fence was 16 April 2012. He circulated a schedule which set out details of those officers who had expressed an interest in the new Assistant Director positions, those officers who had expressed no interest in the new posts but wished to remain in a similar role as present within the council on the third tier and details of those expressing an interest in voluntary redundancy. Eleven of the current Assistant Directors had expressed an interest in the new Assistant Director positions. Of these three posts had received expressions from 2 officers each and the remaining five posts had received expressions from 1 officer each.
Moved by Councillor Mrs Redfern and seconded by Councillor Waltham –
That in line with the appointments to the Director posts, interviews be held for all 8 Assistant Director posts.
Moved by Councillor Swift and seconded by Councillor L Foster as an amendment –
That, in line with the council’s review protocol, those current Assistant Directors who had expressed an interest in one specific post namely Community Services, Customer Services, Business Support, Financial Services and Commissioning and Localities be slotted into those posts and that interviews be held for the remaining posts of Technical and Environment Services, Planning and Regeneration and Adult Services where two expressions of interest had been received for each post.
15. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING – That arrangements be made to interview for the various posts on dates to be agreed.