Licensing Committee – 15 September 2009
Chair: Councillor Barkworth
Venue: Function Room 1, Pittwood House, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe
- Declarations of Personal or Personal and Prejudicial Interests or Significant Contact with Applicants, Objectors or Third Parties (lobbying) if any.
- To take the minutes of the meeting of this committee held on 19 May 2009, as a correct record and authorise the Chair to sign.
- Sub-Committee Proceedings – To receive and where necessary confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Licensing (Miscellaneous) Sub-Committee held on the 28 May 2009, 30 June 2009 and 31 July 2009.
- Sub-Committee Proceedings – To receive and where necessary confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Licensing (Activities) Sub-Committee held on 20 July 2009 and 7 August 2009.
- Prosecution Feedback
- Member Training – Licensing Act 2003 (duration approximately 1 hour)
- Appeals Submitted to the Magistrates’ Court.
- Any other items which the Chair decides are urgent by reason of special circumstances which must be specified.
PRESENT: Councillor Barkworth in the chair.
Councillors Cawsey, Clark, Collinson, Eckhardt, Ellerby, L Foster, Glover, O’Sullivan, Poole, Smith, K Vickers, P Vickers and Wells.
The committee met at Pittwood House, Scunthorpe.
801 DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND SIGNIFICANT CONTACT WITH APPLICANTS, OBJECTORS OR THIRD PARTIES (LOBBYING) – The following members declared personal interests –
Nature of Interest
|Councillor Davison||806||Family Member is a Licence Holder|
802 MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the proceedings of this committee held on 19 May 2009, having been printed and circulated amongst the members, be taken as read and correctly recorded and signed by the chair.
803 SUB-COMMITTEE PROCEEDINGS – Resolved – That the minutes of the meeting of the Licensing (Miscellaneous) Sub-Committee held on 28 May 2009, 30 June 2009 and 31 July 2009 be received.
804 SUB-COMMITTEE PROCEEDINGS – Resolved – That the minutes of the meeting of the Licensing (Activities) Sub-Committee held on 20 July 2009 and 7 August 2009 be received.
805 PROSECUTION FEEDBACK – The Service Director Neighbourhood and Environment provided feedback to the meeting on the successful prosecution of Mr Raymond Jackson, an illegal dog breeder operating in Goxhill. He provided details of the fine and costs awarded, and also explained that Mr Jackson had received a two year ban.
When questioned, the Service Director Neighbourhood and Environment confirmed that Mr Jackson had received previous warnings but had chosen to ignore these, which had resulted in his appearance before the court. The panel was advised that the case had been well publicised.
Resolved – (a) That the position be noted, and (b) that the Service Director Neighbourhood and Environment seek further publicity for this case through the local media.
806 MEMBER TRAINING – LICENSING ACT 2003 – The Service Director Neighbourhood and Environment delivered a presentation on the Licensing Act 2003, which outlined Licensable Activities, how these activities were authorised and the role of the Licensing Committee.
Members then engaged in training scenarios to consider fictitious applications for temporary event notices, premises licence review, personal licence application and premises licence grant.
Resolved – That the Service Director Neighbourhood and Environment be thanked for providing an informative and beneficial training session for all members.
807 APPEALS SUBMITTED TO THE MAGISTRATES COURT – The Service Director Legal and Democratic informed the meeting that no decisions of the council’s Licensing Committee, Licensing (Miscellaneous) Sub-Committee or Licensing (Activities) Sub-Committee had been appealed to the Magistrates Court, since the last meeting of the committee on 19 May 2009.
Resolved – That the position be noted.