Corporate Scrutiny Panel – 25 July 2011
PRESENT: Councillor Glover in the chair.
Councillors Wilson (Vice-Chair), Bainbridge, Eckhardt, Marper, Oldfield and Wardle.
The panel met at Pittwood House, Scunthorpe.
8. DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of personal or personal and prejudicial interests.
No whip was declared.
9. MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the proceedings of this panel held on 27 June 2011, having been printed and circulated amongst the members, be taken as read and correctly recorded and signed by the chairman.
10. PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK– There were no requests received.
11. (5) SOCIAL MEDIA SCRUTINY BRIEF – The Director of corporate and Community Services submitted a brief outlining the work to be carried out for the review on social media in North Lincolnshire. The panel discussed the brief and made amendments where appropriate.
Resolved – That the brief for the review be approved.
12. SOCIAL MEDIA SCRUTINY REVIEW – The chairman welcomed Adrian Capon the Council’s Strategic Marketing Manager and Neil Laminman the Service Director for Corporate and Community Services to the meeting. The officers provided members with vital information with regards to the use of social media and its current distribution across North Lincolnshire Council. Examples of how other organisations and authorities use such social media tools were also highlighted during the presentations, and members discussed various issues including the pitfalls of using social media for council business and how these can be overcome.
Resolved – That the presentations be received with thanks.
13. (6) ‘Local by Social’– The Director of Corporate and Community Services submitted a document for members information produced by the I&Dea outlining how local authorities can use social media to achieve more for less.
Resolved – That the information be noted.