Places Scrutiny Panel – 11 July 2012

Councillors Davison (vice chair), Clark, Oldfield and P Vickers.

Councillors Whiteley attended the meeting in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 1.36 (b).

The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.

146  DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests and personal or personal and prejudicial interests.

No whip was declared.

147  MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the proceedings of this panel held on 20 June 2012, having been printed and circulated amongst the members, be taken as read and correctly recorded and signed by the chairman.

148  PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK There were no requests received.

149  CABINET MEMBER AND SERVICE AREA PRIORITIES – The Chairman welcomed Councillor Mrs Redfern to the meeting, the council’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration.  Councillor Mrs Redfern had been invited to the panel meeting to update members on any key decisions, important business or key developments which had occurred during the last quarter.  Namely –

  • The second phase of the council ran apprenticeship scheme
  • Regional Growth Fund
  • Economic prosperity
  • Help for local businesses
  • Local Enterprise Partnership
  • Enterprise Zones
  • Sustainability of local businesses

Following the update, the Chairman invited members to question the Cabinet Member for Regeneration.

Resolved – (a) That the update be noted, and (b) that the Cabinet Member for Regeneration be thanked for her attendance, presentation and for answering members’ questions.

150  (7)  EXECUTIVE ACTION PLAN IN RESPONSE TO THE RECOMMENDATIONS CONTAINED IN THE ‘DECLARATION AND ADMINISTRATION OF THE COUNT FOLLOWING THE DISTRICT ELECTION AND THE NATIONAL REFERENDUM HELD ON 5 MAY 2011’ OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY REPORT – Further to Minute 101, and the subsequent approval by Cabinet at its meeting on 13 March 2012, the Chairman welcomed Simon Driver, Mel Holmes and Anthia Taylor, the council’s Chief Executive and Returning Officer, Head of Democratic Services and Electoral Services and Elections Officer to the meeting to discuss the Executive’s action plan in response to the scrutiny panel review and what, if any, improvements the action plan had made to the recent by-election contested in the Town Ward on Thursday 31 May 2012.

Members were guided through each recommendation and action point and a discussion ensued as to how it had been implemented at the recent by-election.

Resolved – (a) That the council’s Chief Executive, Head of Democratic Services and Electoral Services and Elections Officer be thanked for their attendance and for answering members questions, and (b) that the officers be congratulated for working with the scrutiny panel to improve the election count process.

151  THE POLICE AND CRIME PANEL FOR THE HUMBERSIDE AREA– The Chairman invited the council’s Chief Executive to update the scrutiny panel on the arrangements for the establishment of a Police and Crime Panel in the Humberside area.

The four local authorities in the Humberside Police area had to establish a Police and Crime Panel to scrutinise, support and challenge the Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside.  Whilst each of the local authorities would have a role in supporting the work of the panel, one local authority had to take on the role of hosting the panel.  North East Lincolnshire Council had volunteered to take on this role.  Hosting arrangements would be subject to annual review.

The Act and subsequent regulations made detailed provisions for the composition of Police and Crime Panels.  No allowances would be paid to members of the panel, other than travel expenses (up to a maximum of £920 per panel member per annum).  Composition of the panel had to take account of, as far as is practical, both political and geographical proportionality as well as necessary skills and experience.  Discussions had been held between the Leaders and Chief Executives of the four authorities about the size and composition of the panel.  The proposal was for the initial split of the ten places on the panel between the four local authorities of five on the north bank and five on the south bank, together with an agreement to add two additional co-opted members to create a panel of twelve elected members, three from each authority (subject to approval by the Secretary of State).  The Home Office had been informed on 16 July 2012 what the arrangements would be for the Police and Crime Panel in this area.

Resolved – That the arrangements for the establishment of the Police and Crime Panel for the Humberside area be noted.

152  (8)  POLICE AND CRIME COMMISSIONERS – BULLETIN NUMBER TEN – The Director of Policy and Resources circulated the Police and Crime Commissioners Policy Briefing Number 10 for members’ information.

Resolved – That the information be noted.

153  DEVELOPMENTS LOCALLY – UPDATE – The Director of Policy and Resources updated members on some key developments locally with regard to the South Humber division of Humberside Police.

Resolved – That the situation be noted..

154  SITE VISIT TO NEIGHBOURHOODS – The Chairman sought members comments on the recent site visit to Safer Neighbourhoods which was held on Monday 9 July 2012.

Resolved – (a) That the Director of Policy and Resources write to the Head of Safer Neighbourhoods expressing the panel’s gratitude for hosting the visit, and (b) that the Director explore possible dates that the members may participate and achieve their Level 1 Basic Drug Awareness Training.

155  ADDED ITEM – There was no added item for consideration at the meeting.