Governance and Standards Scrutiny Panel – 8 November 2018
Chairman: Councillor Robinson
Venue: Function Room 1, Civic Centre, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe
Time: 6 p.m.
- Declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests and personal or personal and prejudicial interests and declarations of whipping arrangements (if any).
- To take the minutes of the meeting of the panel held on 18 October 2018 as a correct record and authorise the chairman to sign.
- Public speaking requests, if any.
- Member Development
5.1 An introductory discussion on member development.
5.2 Next stages, if any.
- Added Item (if any).
- Any other items that the Chairman decides are urgent by reason of special circumstances that must be specified.
PRESENT: – Councillor Robinson in the chair.
Councillors Gosling (Vice-Chair), Clark, Collinson and Longcake.
The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
87 DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests and personal or personal and prejudicial interests.
No whip was declared.
88 MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the proceedings of this panel held on 18 October 2018, having been printed and circulated amongst the members, be taken as read and correctly recorded and signed by the chairman.
89 MEMBER DEVELOPMENT – The Chairman welcomed Helen Manderson and Debbie Haines to the meeting, the council’s Director: Business Development and Head of Organisational Development respectively.
The Director and Head of Service had been invited to the meeting to answer member’s questions on the following –
- current provision of member development.
- assessing a members training needs.
- type of development opportunities ie e-learning, trainer etc.
- time and location of development activities.
- member development programme for new councillors.
The Director delivered a verbal presentation to members, before the Chairman facilitated a discussion on member development between the Scrutiny Panel and the Director and Head of Service.
Resolved – (a) That the Director: Business Development and Head of Organisational Development be thanked for their attendance, presentation and for answering scrutiny panel members questions, and (b) that council officers be invited to a future meeting to provide a further update.
90 ADDED ITEM – There was no added item for consideration at the meeting.