The Cabinet consists of nine councillors from the biggest political group on the council – the leader of the council chairs it. The leader of the council appoints cabinet members.
Meetings are currently held as ‘Remote (Virtual) Meetings’ through Microsoft Teams until further notice. They start at 4 pm and are open to the public through a ‘live link’ to the meeting which can be found on the relevant agenda on the council’s web site.
Cabinet members are all from the majority group on the council. Under an informal arrangement, opposition councillors attend meetings. The leader encourages them to put questions on agenda items. The council sees opposition involvement as a key part of its modernisation, making sure that it represents all communities.
Collectively, the cabinet:
- Provides political and community leadership
- Considers matters relating to the council’s major plans, strategies and policies
- Recommends the budgetary framework and processes that support the council’s priorities, plans, strategies and policies
- Receives and acts upon the recommendations of the council’s scrutiny panels
The council publishes the agenda and reports to be considered at cabinet meetings (except those containing exempt or confidential information). These are available five or more working days before meetings. Anyone can see copies of these documents. They are available in main council offices, local links and on the council’s website.
Other councillors act as ‘lead members’ on specific issues and support cabinet members. Lead members cannot make decisions – even if a cabinet member is not available.
If you require more information please contact Richard Mell (Head of Democratic Services) on 01724 296230 or by email at Richard.email@example.com
The Cabinet is made up of the leader of the council and seven other councillors appointed by the leader.
Each member of the Cabinet has a particular portfolio, covering service and councilwide responsibilities:
- Leader: Cllr Rob Waltham MBE
- Deputy Leader: Cllr Richard Hannigan
- Leader Portfolio : Cllr Rob Waltham MBE
- Deputy Leader : Cllr Richard Hannigan
- Safer Communities : Cllr John Robert Davison
- Resident Engagement & Governance : Cllr Elaine Marper
- Prosperity : Cllr Neil Poole
- Connectivity : Cllr Julie Reed
- Children, Families and Culture : Cllr David Rose
- Adults and Health : Cllr Ralph Ogg
- Environment and Wellbeing : Cllr Carl Sherwood