Appointment and Employment Committee – 2 April 2012
Chairman: Councillor Mrs E Redfern
Venue: Civic Centre, Scunthorpe (Conference Room)
2. Declarations of Personal or Personal and Prejudicial Interests
3. To take the minutes of the meeting of the committee held on 26 March, 2012 as a correct record.
4. Any other items
The public are likely to be excluded from the meeting for consideration of the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1 and 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act, 1972, (as amended)
5. Appointment Process for Directors – To interview candidates for the posts of Director of People, Director of Places and Director of Policy and Resources.
6. Assistant Director Posts – Appointments Process.
PRESENT: Councillor Mrs Redfern in the chair.
Councillors Briggs, Davison, Swift and Waltham.
6. DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS – There were no declarations of personal or personal and prejudicial interests.
7. MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the meeting of the committee held on 26 March 2012 be approved as a correct record.
8. EXCLUSION OF THE PUBLIC – Resolved – That the public be excluded from the meeting for consideration of the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1 and 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended).
9. APPOINTMENT PROCESS FOR DIRECTORS – With reference to minute 4 of the last meeting of the committee, the committee interviewed one candidate for each of the posts of Director of People, Director of Places and Director of Policy and Resources.
Each of the candidates gave a detailed presentation setting out their vision for the service which if successful they would be responsible for. This was followed by questions from members of the committee.
Resolved – (a) That the following officers be appointed to the posts indicated –
Director of People – Denise Hyde
Director of Places – Peter Williams
Director of Policy and Resources – Mike Wedgewood
and (b) that the appointments take effect from 1 May, 2012.
10. ASSISTANT DIRECTOR POSTS – APPOINTMENTS PROCESS – Further to minute 5 of the last meeting of the committee, the Chief Executive referred to the next stages in the review of the council’s senior management structure particularly in relation to the appointments process for the Assistant Director posts. He also referred to the council’s review protocol and indicated that where there was matching of the new with old posts there would be designation or slotting in. For all other posts expression of interest would be sought from the staff in the Assistant Director ring fence. Four of the posts matched the new with the old post and should therefore be subject to designating into post and expressions of interest would then be used to appoint to the remaining 8 posts within the Assistant Director ring fence.
Resolved – (a) That the following officers be designated into the posts specified –
Assistant Director – School Improvement – Peter Thorpe
Assistant Director – Specialist Services – Mick Gibbs
Assistant Director – Human Resources – Helen Manderson
Assistant Director – Legal and Democratic Services – Will Bell
(b) that the appointments take effect from 1 May, 2012, and (c) that expressions of interest be invited from officers within the Assistant Director ring fence for the 8 available posts of Assistant Director, expressions of interest to be received by 16 April 2012.