Licensing Committee – 24 May 2012
Time: 10 am
2. Declarations of Personal or Personal and Prejudicial Interests or Significant Contact with Applicants, Objectors or Third Parties (lobbying) if any.
3. To take the minutes of the meeting of this committee held on 15 March 2012, and special meeting of 24 April, 2012 as a correct record and authorise the Chairman to sign.
4. To note the scheduled dates and times of the Licensing Committee as follows –
- Thursday 21 June 2012 at 10.00 am (Special Meeting)
- Thursday 19 July 2012 at 10.00 am
- Thursday 20 September 2012 at 10.00 am
- Thursday 29 November 2012 at 10.00 am
- Thursday 31 January 2013 at 10.00 am
- Thursday 4 April 2013 at 10.00 am
5. Sub-Committee Proceedings – To receive and where necessary confirm the minutes of the meeting of the following sub-committees –
(i) Licensing (Miscellaneous) Sub-Committee held on 8 March and 12 April, 2012.
(ii) Licensing (Activities) Sub-Committee held on 12 March 2012.
6. To appoint a Licensing (Miscellaneous) Sub-Committee comprising five members of the Licensing Committee (three Conservative and two Labour members, names to be notified).
7. To appoint a Licensing (Activities) Sub-Committee comprising three members (politically balanced) drawn from the 15 members of the Licensing Committee. (Membership of the sub-committee to deal with individual cases to be appointed as required from eligible members)
8. Licensing – Overview of roles and responsibilities.
9. Any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent by reason of special circumstances which must be specified.
Note: Reports are by Director of Places unless otherwise stated.
PRESENT: Councillor K Vickers in the chair.
Councillors P Vickers (vice-chairman), Allcock, Armitage, Barker, Bainbridge, Mrs Bromby, Carlile, Clark, Ellerby, Glover, Ogg, Oldfield, Wells and Whiteley.
The committee met at Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
997 COUNCILLOR P CLARK – The chairman welcomed all members to the meeting and expressed his thanks on behalf of the committee to the former chairman Cllr Peter Clark for his work over the past year. Cllr Clark was still a member of the committee, but was now also Deputy Mayor of North Lincolnshire.
998 DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND SIGNIFICANT CONTACT WITH APPLICANTS, OBJECTORS OR THIRD PARTIES (LOBBYING) – The following members declared a personal interest –
Nature of Interest
999 MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the proceedings of this committee held on 15 March 2012, and special meeting held on 24 April 2012 having been printed and circulated amongst the members, be taken as read and correctly recorded and signed by the chairman.
1000 DATES AND TIMES OF MEETINGS – Resolved – That the dates and times of future meetings of the committee be held at 10:00am on –
Thursday 21 June 2012 (Special Meeting) Thursday 19 July 2012 Thursday 20 September 2012 Thursday 29 November 2012 Thursday 31 January 2013 Thursday 4 April 2013
1001 SUB-COMMITTEE PROCEEDINGS – Resolved – That the minutes of the meeting of the Licensing (Miscellaneous) Sub-Committee held on 8 March and 12 April 2012 be received.
1002 SUB-COMMITTEE PROCEEDINGS – Resolved – That the minutes of the meetings of the Licensing (Activities) Sub-Committee held on 12 March 2012 be received.
1003 TO APPOINT A LICENSING (MISCELLANEOUS) SUB-COMMITTEE – Resolved – That a Licensing (Miscellaneous) Sub-Committee be appointed comprising five members of the Licensing Committee, three Conservative members (Councillors K Vickers, P Vickers and Clark) and two Labour members (Councillors Armitage and Ellerby).
1004 TO APPOINT A LICENSING (ACTIVITIES) SUB-COMMITTEE – Resolved – That a Licensing (Activities) Sub-Committee be appointed comprising three members (politically balanced) drawn from the 15 members of the Licensing Committee. (Membership of the sub-committee to deal with individual cases to be appointed as required from eligible members).
1005 OVERVIEW OF ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Mr N Bramhill, Licensing Manager gave a presentation, which also provided general training, on the following roles and responsibilities of the committee and its sub-committees –
- Alcohol and Entertainment
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire
- Street Trading and Charitable Collections
- Animal Welfare
- Miscellaneous Activities and Registers, and
- Future and Ongoing Licensing Developments
Mrs A Taylor, Principal Solicitor also updated the committee on the likely changes to members’ declarations of interest from 1 July 2012 arising from the Localism Act 2011 and specific regulations on disclosing pecuniary interests, which to date, had not been published by the government. Further training would be provided to all members as soon as details were known and finalised.
Resolved – (a) That Mr Bramhill and Mrs Taylor be thanked for their presentations, and (b) that the position be noted.