Corporate Scrutiny Panel – 27 June 2011
PRESENT: Councillor Glover in the chair.
Councillors Wilson (Vice-Chair), Bainbridge, Clark, Eckhardt, Marper and Oldfield.
Councillors Poole and C. Sherwood attended the meeting in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 1.37 (b).
The panel met at Pittwood House, Scunthorpe.
1. DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of personal or personal and prejudicial interests.
No whip was declared.
2. PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK– There were no requests received.
3. (1) OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY PROCEDURE RULES – The Director of Corporate and Community Services briefed members on the changes to the overview and scrutiny procedure rules which were agreed by the council at its Annual Meeting on 25 May 2011.
Resolved – That the overview and scrutiny procedure rules be noted.
4. (2) TERMS OF REFERENCE – The Director of Corporate and Community Services briefed members on the Corporate Scrutiny Panel terms of reference which were agreed by the council at its Annual Meeting on 25 May 2011.
In addition, to assist members’ understanding of their terms of reference, the relevant Directors and Cabinet Members whose service areas and portfolios mirrored the terms of reference of the scrutiny panel had been invited to attend.
The Chairman welcomed the council’s Director of Corporate and Community Services, Director of Finance, Director of Infrastructure Services and the Director of Regeneration and Planning to the meeting. The Cabinet member for Finance, Procurement & I.T Services, and the Cabinet member for Corporate and Community Services were also in attendance to inform the panel of their priorities for the forthcoming year. The Directors gave an oversight of their service areas, paying particular attention to the future challenges and policy developments in the services. Following the presentations, the Chairman invited members to question the council’s Directors and Cabinet members and further discussion took place.
Resolved – That the council’s Directors and Cabinet members be thanked for their attendance, presentations and for answering members’ questions.
5. (3) MEETINGS OF THE SCRUTINY PANEL – The Director of Corporate and Community Services circulated dates of future scheduled meetings. The Chairman explained that it was envisaged that informal meetings or sub-groups would meet in-between formal monthly dates, reporting back to the full panel.
Resolved – That the report be noted.
6. (4) CONSIDERATION OF WORK PROGRAMME – Members discussed their future work programme and priorities for the 2011/12 municipal year.
Resolved – (a) That the panel commence a review into the ‘North Lincolnshire Council’s Media Policy’ and (b) that a scrutiny brief be drafted detailing how the review would be undertaken.
7. TRAINING FEEDBACK AND FUTURE REQUIREMENTS – The Director of Corporate and Community Services discussed with members the internal training session on overview and scrutiny held on 24 June 2011 and asked for relevant feedback in order to provide future training opportunities as and when required.
Resolved – That the item be noted.