Places Scrutiny Panel – 14 November 2012
PRESENT: – Councillor T Foster in the chair.
Councillors Davison (vice chair), Clark, Oldfield and P Vickers.
The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
199 DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of pecuniary or personal and prejudicial interests.
No whip was declared.
200 MINUTES – Resolved – That the minutes of the proceedings of this panel held on 24 October 2012, having been printed and circulated amongst the members, be taken as read and correctly recorded and signed by the chairman.
201 PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK – There were no requests received.
202 WINTER MAINTENANCE – The Chairman welcomed Peter Williams and Rod Chapman to the meeting, the council’s Director of Places and Asset Team Manager. Mr Williams and Mr Chapman had been invited to discuss with panel members’ the council’s preparations for the forthcoming winter.
Mr Williams informed the meeting –
- That following the implementation of the new Winter Service Policy, the new arrangements had worked well.
- Officers from within the Places Directorate had undertaken a desktop exercise to review the existing gritting route. This had resulted in additional routes being added to the programme.
- The council had a full supply of salt at its Brigg Road depot ready for a drop in the temperature.
- A capital bid had been submitted to build a new indoor salt storage shelter.
- The council had increased its staffing resources this year to cater for any adverse weather.
- A consultation exercise had been undertaken on the deployment and maintenance of salt bins.
Following the Director’s oral update, the Chairman invited members’ to question the Director and Asset Team Manager.
Resolved – (a) That the oral update be noted; (b) that the council’s Director of Places and Asset Team Manager be thanked for their attendance, presentation and for answering members’ questions, and (c) that the location, maintenance and deployment of salt bins be referred to Neighbourhood Watch Groups, Neighbourhood Action Teams and Scunthorpe Charter Trustees for discussion.
203 SCRUTINY REVIEW OF COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT – Resolved – That consideration of this item be deferred to the next meeting of the panel.
204 (21) JOINT REVIEW WITH THE PEOPLE SCRUTINY PANEL – ‘STRANGER DANGER IN NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE’ – The Director of Policy and Resources circulated the scrutiny brief and review timetable for their forthcoming joint review into ‘stranger danger in North Lincolnshire’.
Resolved – That the scrutiny brief and review timetable be agreed.
20 ADDED ITEM – There was no added item for consideration at the meeting.