Corporate Scrutiny Panel (Special Meeting) – 4 December 2014
Councillors Wilson (vice-chairman), Alcock, Collinson and Ogg.
Councillors Armitage,Ellerby, L.Foster, Godfrey, Poole and Swift attended the meeting in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 1.37 (b).
The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
219 DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests and personal or personal and prejudicial interests.
No whip was declared.
220 PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK – There were no requests received.
221 ITEM REQUESTED FOR CALL-IN IN ACCORDANCE WITH PARAGRAPH 22 OF PART D RULE 5 (OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY PROCEDURE RULES) OF THE COUNCIL’S CONSTITUTION – Minute 92 of the Policy and Resources Cabinet Member meeting held on 26 November 2013 – Council Tax Support and Welfare Schemes – The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting, and invited a nominee of the members who had requested the call-in to speak on the above decision and question the Cabinet Member. Members outlined areas of concern as reasons for seeking a review of the above decision. These included:-
· Leader making policy in front of the media before decision is enacted;
· Against the council’s equal opportunities policy;
· Clearly discriminatory;
· People did not choose to live in a property that was too big for them;
· It would take six years to downsize everybody that is affected by the bedroom tax;
· We request a full council debate on the criteria for discretionary awards and the very least a clear and comprehensive consultation and policy on the criteria for discretionary payments.
Following a discussion on the above issues, the Policy and Resources Cabinet Member was invited to respond to the concerns and reasons for the decision being called in, and be held to account for the decision taken. The Director of Policy and
Resources, the Assistant Director Financial Services and the Local Taxation and Benefits Shared Services Manager were also invited to comment.
Resolved – That no further action be taken, and the above decision of the Policy and Resources Cabinet Member (minute 92 refers) be implemented with immediate effect.