Governance Scrutiny Panel (Special Meeting) 20 September 2016
Chairman: – Councillor D Robinson
Venue: Function Room 1, Civic Centre, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe
Time: 4 pm
2. Declarations of Personal or Personal and Prejudicial Interest and Declarations of Whipping Arrangements (if any).
3. Public Requests to speak (if any).
4. Item requested for call-in, in accordance with paragraph 22 of Part D Rule 5 (Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules) of the council’s constitution.
Minute 19 of the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member meeting held on 13 September 2016 – Use of Discretionary Housing Fund
5. Any other items which the chairman decides are urgent by reason of special circumstances which must be specified.
PRESENT: – Councillor Robinson in the chair.
Councillors Gosling (Vice-Chair), Bainbridge, J Davison and Glover.
Councillors Collinson and Ellerby attended the meeting in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 1.37 (b).
The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
27 DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of pecuniary interest or personal and prejudicial interests.
No whip was declared.
28 PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK – There were no requests received.
29 (7) ITEM REQUESTED FOR CALL-IN IN ACCORDANCE WITH PARAGRAPH 22 OF PART D RULE 5 (OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY PROCEDURE RULES) OF THE COUNCIL’S CONSTITUTION – Minute 19 of the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member meeting held on 13 September 2016 – Use of Discretionary Housing Fund – The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting, and invited a nominee of the members who had requested the call-in to speak on the above decision and question the Cabinet Member. Members outlined areas of concern as reasons for seeking a review of the above decision. Namely, the members wanted to –
- Investigate the justification of North Lincolnshire Council returning roughly £210,000 of DHP allocated funds to central government.
- Seek an explanation as to why this money was not used to support vulnerable recipients of housing benefit and to ask for a comprehensive review of the DHP application process.
Following a discussion on the above issues, the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member was invited to respond to the concerns and reasons for the decision being called in, and be held to account for the decision taken. The Assistant Director Financial Services, who was also in attendance, was invited to comment.
Resolved – That no further action be taken, and the above decision of the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member (minute 19 refers) be implemented with immediate effect.