Governance Scrutiny Panel (Special Meeting) – 27 September 2016
Chairman: Councillor D Robinson
Venue: Function Room 2, Civic Centre, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe
Time: 5 pm
2. Declarations of Personal or Personal and Prejudicial Interest and Declarations of Whipping Arrangements (if any).
3. Public Requests to speak (if any).
4. Item requested for call-in, in accordance with paragraph 22 of Part D Rule 5 (Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules) of the council’s constitution.
Minute 20 of the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member meeting held on 19 September 2016 – Council Tax Support Scheme Consultation
5. Any other items which the chairman decides are urgent by reason of special circumstances which must be specified.
PRESENT: – Councillor Robinson in the chair.
Councillors Gosling (Vice-Chair), Ali, J Davison and Mumby-Croft.
Councillors Collinson, Ellerby and Perry attended the meeting in accordance with the provisions of Procedure Rule 1.37 (b).
The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
30 DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – The following member declared an interest –
|Member||Minute||Nature of Interest|
|Councillor Ali||32||Chair of Crosby Community Association|
No whip was declared.
31 PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK – There were no requests received.
32 (8) ITEM REQUESTED FOR CALL-IN IN ACCORDANCE WITH PARAGRAPH 22 OF PART D RULE 5 (OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY PROCEDURE RULES) OF THE COUNCIL’S CONSTITUTION – Minute 20 of the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member meeting held on 19 September 2016 – Council Tax Support Scheme Consultation – The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting, and invited a nominee of the members who had requested the call-in to speak on the above decision and question the Cabinet Member. Members outlined areas of concern as reasons for seeking a review of the above decision. Namely, the members –
- Had concerns regarding the future welfare of council and housing benefit claimants.
- Sought an investigation and detailed impact assessment was required to measure how this regressive change would be detrimental to the most vulnerable in our society.
Following a discussion on the above issues, the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member was invited to respond to the concerns and reasons for the decision being called in, and be held to account for the decision taken. The Assistant Director Financial Services and Shared Services Lead on Benefits, who were also in attendance, were invited to comment.
Resolved – That no further action be taken, and the above decision of the Governance and Transformation Cabinet Member (minute 20 refers) be implemented with immediate effect.