Governance and Standards Scrutiny Panel (Special Meeting) 9 November 2017
Chairman: Councillor Robinson
Venue: Function Room 1, Civic Centre, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe
Time: 5 pm
2. Declarations of Personal or Personal and Prejudicial Interest and Declarations of Whipping Arrangements (if any).
3. Public Requests to speak (if any).
4. Item requested for call-in, in accordance with paragraph 22 of Part D Rule 5 (Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules) of the council’s constitution.
Minute 7 of the Place Shaping Cabinet Member meeting held on 3 November 2017 – Accelerated Housing Partnership.
5. Any other items which the chairman decides are urgent by reason of special circumstances which must be specified.
PRESENT: – Councillor Robinson in the chair.
Councillors Gosling (Vice-Chair), Longcake, Swift and Wells.
Councillors Briggs, Collinson, Godfrey and L Foster attended the meeting in accordance with Procedure Rule 1.37(b).
The panel met at the Civic Centre, Scunthorpe.
38 DECLARATIONS OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY INTERESTS AND PERSONAL OR PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTERESTS AND DECLARATIONS OF WHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS (IF ANY) – There were no declarations of personal or personal and prejudicial interests.
No whip was declared.
39 PUBLIC REQUESTS TO SPEAK – There were no requests received.
40 (11) ITEM REQUESTED FOR CALL-IN IN ACCORDANCE WITH PARAGRAPH 22 OF PART D RULE 5 (OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY PROCEDURE RULES) OF THE COUNCIL’S CONSTITUTION – Minute 7 of the Place Shaping Cabinet Member meeting held on 3 November 2017 – Accelerated Housing Partnership – The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting, and invited a nominee of the members who had requested the call-in to speak on the above decision and question the Cabinet Member. Members outlined areas of concern as reasons for seeking a review of the above decision. Namely –
- The decision to agree in principle cannot be taken with such a vague report.
- Potential spend was not identified.
- Was all land in council ownership?
- There was no evidence of how the yield of £6.2m identified.
- There was no social housing element in the scheme.
- The report does not identify options.
- There was not even a neutral stance option.
- The report appeared to be a nod to a decision.
- How could there be no background papers?
- The flexible tenure model was not explained.
- There was not a whole North Lincolnshire assessment of need.
- Does this arrangement fulfil the housing needs of North Lincolnshire?
- What were the housing types?
- Was it a cost effective arrangement?
- What income to the council was there year on year?
- What were the timescales for each area?
- We would like to see a social housing element in the arrangements.
- We ask for each individual scheme to be costed and what contribution the council made?
Following a discussion on the above issues, the Place Shaping Cabinet Member was invited to respond to the concerns and reasons for the decision being called in, and be held to account for the decision taken.
The Director: Business Development and Head of Economy and Growth, who were also in attendance, were invited to comment.
It was then –
Moved by Councillor Robinson and seconded by Councillor Wells–
That no further action be taken, and the Accelerated Housing Partnership decision of the Place Shaping Cabinet Member (minute 7 refers) be implemented with immediate effect.
It was then –
Moved by Councillor Swift and seconded by Councillor Gosling as an amendment–
That the decision be referred to council to consider thus allowing all elected members the opportunity to discuss the content and implications of the report.